The Senior Accountant is primarily responsible for complex accounting activities relating to the maintenance of a complete and accurate general ledger and the subsequent managerial reports and financial statements for assigned business units. The person in this position is also responsible for ensuring the integrity of account information by recording verifying, consolidating, and entering accounting transactions.
- Prepares and records asset, liability, revenue, and expense entries by compiling and analyzing account information.
- Reconciles monthly bank account and balance sheets for all assigned business units.
- Analyzes revenues, commissions and expenses to ensure they are recorded appropriately on a monthly basis.
- Maintains general ledger by transferring subsidiary accounts; preparing a trial balance; reconciling entries Communicates and assists in resolution of discrepancies from sub ledger reconciliations. Participates in month-end close activities including the preparation and review of journal entries for assigned business units.
- Assists management with special projects, requests for financial information from business unit leaders and ad hoc reporting.
- Prepares schedules for year-end audit for independent external auditors. Researches issues, clarifies information, and prepares supporting data.
- Coordinates more complex accounting projects and initiatives with other members of the accounting and finance team or with other departments.
- Develops and documents business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
- Posts payments to customer accounts.
- Reviews, reconciles and processes “account current” payments to carriers.
- Processes returned checks and refunds.
- Researches, communicates and advises CSR’s of discrepancies; follows up and resolves all issues.
- Communicates with carriers to resolve outstanding and delinquent items.
- Monitors delinquencies and follows up for collection status.
- Manages bill commission posting, resolves direct bill balancing issues and problems.
- Performs other duties or projects as assigned.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft applications, especially Word and Excel
- Must have advanced knowledge of computerized accounting systems
- Excellent analytical and mathematical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communication
- Thorough knowledge of basic accounting procedures and principles
- Familiarity with analyzing, preparing, and reconciling financial statements and analytical variances
- Excellent problem solving, relationship management and critical thinking skills and the ability to prioritize multiple projects, meetings and deadlines
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality
- Must value operating in a collaborative work environment
- Willingness to assist internal and external customers with any concerns
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness
- Ability to work independently and on a team
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- BA/BS in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business, or Statistics preferred
- Advanced course work in bookkeeping and accounting
- 5+ years finance and accounting experience
- Agency Insurance knowledge a plus