Responsible for new insurance account production and sales activities within assigned accounts. Conducts research in the market and develops a base of business to educate, promote and sell insurance services. Keeps current on business community activities to obtain leads for business development activities. Maintains and services a profitable book of insurance business for existing clients. Projects a professional company image through all interactions with clients, insurance carriers, co-workers and others.
- Contacts current, past and potential clients to solicit new and renewed business
- Follows up on leads and responds promptly and efficiently to referrals. Listens attentively to the needs of the client and makes recommendations accordingly. Requests referrals from current insurance clients
- Creates and maintains accurate and up-to-date client lists assuring their needs are realized and that they are provided with relevant insurance information appealing to their specific needs
- Designs custom insurance plans for clients and recommends appropriate coverage, which are appropriate for them. Surveys loss exposures, needs, and possible uninsurable or difficult to ensure exposures for clients. Pre-qualifies insurance prospects for insurability and quality of risk
- Assures clients are educated concerning agency payment expectations and cancellation procedures.
- Collects premiums and past-due premiums from clients for purchases of new and upgraded coverage, and obtains signatures on applications for clients as required
- Assures clients are provided with the necessary documentation and information for record-keeping purposes. Creates letters to clients offering coverage, share information and advice regarding insurance matters
- Prepares summaries of insurance, schedules and proposals. Reviews audits of policies and verifies their accuracy. Assures necessary corrections between the client and the carrier are facilitated.
- Works with Customer Service Reps and/or Managers to review existing policy coverage, upgrade accounts and remarket when possible. Collects information from clients to prepare schedules of insurance, summaries and renewal proposals
- Reviews appropriate policy change requests and other account activity. Documents automated files as appropriate
- Participates in insurance marketing events, seminars, trade shows, telemarketing events and continuing education. Reads and interprets technical manuals and insurance information from carriers, vendors, publishers, etc.
- Prepares a variety of status reports, including activity, closings, follow-up and adherence to goals.
- Documents coverage, exclusions and other specific information on the automated file. Provides detail pertaining to non-standard coverage limitations and binding restrictions to lower errors and commissions exposures
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned
- Strong negotiator, avid problem solver and works well with different personalities to ensure sale.
- Working knowledge of insurance markets, products and usages is necessary, as well as insurance rating and underwriting procedures
- Working knowledge of coverage options and industry operations
- Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills are required to explain complex issues, receive and interpret information and respond appropriately
- Must be able to understand and interpret abstract and complex information
- Proficient skills in Microsoft Office (primarily Excel, PowerPoint and Word). Must be computer literate with the ability to learn new software applications
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a demanding work environment
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality
- Ability to work independently and as a team
- Must value operating in a collaborative work environment
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness
- Ability to advise clients concerning their insurance needs
- Ability to calculate and perform mathematical functions
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- College degree or 3 to 5 years’ sales experience in the insurance industry is preferred
- Experience working with complex commercial coverage
- Property and Casualty Insurance License and/or Personal Lines Insurance License is required and must be maintained