The Corporate Legal Counsel will be challenged with a wide range of corporate legal matters, including negotiations, document review and drafting, regulatory compliance, and dispute resolution.
- Provides advice and legal solutions concerning the legal aspects of the Company’s business transactions and operations.
- Negotiates, drafts, and reviews carrier appointments and other vendor and partner agreements critical to the Company’s business and arranges for their proper execution.
- Drafts, negotiates, and reviews real estate leases, lease extensions, lease amendments, estoppel certificates, and landlord notices, and resolves lease issues and disputes.
- Provides counsel and solutions for agency licensing, third-party administrator licensing, and related registrations; prepares and submits requisite reports and notices related to company licenses.
- Analyzes, supervises, and manages claims brought by the Company and claims, potential claims, litigation, and regulatory inquiries brought against the Company (“Claims”); responds to Departments of Insurance inquiries and Claims; reports Claims to and coordinates any applicable responses with insurance carriers; and provides reports to General Counsel and/or management regarding Claims.
- Conducts legal research, interprets laws, rulings and regulations and provides legal opinions to Relation Insurance, Inc.
- Audits, monitors, and provides solutions for compliance with laws, rulings, regulations, agreements, organizational documents, company policies, and lender requirements.
- Advises and assists with employment and independent contractor matters, including employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, enforcement of non-competition and non-solicitation covenants, and employment law compliance.
- Performs other job-related duties, responsibilities, and projects as assigned by the General Counsel or her designee.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a demanding work environment
- Self-motivated with a high level of drive, energy, persistence, and initiative. Is proactive, committed, has high standards, achievement oriented, does what it takes to get the job done, and has a high level of enthusiasm
- Must demonstrate strong and effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness
- Must demonstrate strong, thoughtful, and creative analytical and problem-solving skills
- Willingness and ability to adhere to all principles of confidentiality
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Must value operating in a collaborative work environment
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Active license to practice law in the State of California, Kansas and/or Missouri and admission to California, Kansas and/or Missouri required
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the practice of law, either in an in-house position or with a law firm, required
- Strongly prefer a minimum 2 years of experience practicing law in the insurance industry
- Prefer regulatory experience, HIPAA compliance experience, and experience in performing diverse duties substantially to the essential duties and responsibilities of this position